6.19.2009

Sacred Heart

Readings for Friday June 19, 2009

Solemnity of The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus

First Reading: Hosea 11:1,3-4,8-9
Responsorial Psalm: Isaiah 12
Second Reading: Ephesians 3:8-12,14-19
Gospel: John 19:31-37


For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that he may grant you in accord with the riches of his glory to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner self, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Eph 3:14-19)

In today's second reading, Saint Paul's words speak of Christ dwelling in our hearts. His hope is that we are strengthened with the power of the Holy Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in our hearts through faith. After reading this, I think that we should all be asking for Saint Paul's prayers that this may happen to each of us. I know that my heart is not always full of Christ, sometimes I let my own desires or selfish attitude take over my heart; but if instead of letting the things of this world into our hearts, we instead let Christ in, our lives and this world would be significantly changed. Imagine if the love of Christ was in our hearts, how much better we would love God, ourselves, and all those around us. If Christ dwelt in our hearts, then we would be as Saint Paul says, "rooted and grounded in love." I pray that each of us finds this sure footing and is grounded in love.

One way in which we can have Christ in our hearts and to be grounded in love (as we are called to be), is through a devotion to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. I encourage each of us to begin a devotion to the Most Sacred Heart, and through this may we all be filled with the fullness of God.

Prayer to the wounded heart of Jesus
O my Most Loving and Gentle Jesus, I desire with all the affections of my heart, that all beings created and uncreated, should praise Thee, honor Thee and glorify Thee eternally for that sacred wound wherewith Thy divine side was rent.
I deposit, enclose, conceal in that wound and in that opening in Thy Heart, my heart and all my feelings, thoughts, desires, intentions and all the faculties of my soul.
I entreat Thee, by the precious Blood and Water that flowed from Thy Most Loving Heart, to take entire possession of me, that Thou may guide me in all things.
Consume me in the burning fire of thy holy Love, so that I may be so absorbed and transformed into Thee that I may no longer be but one with Thee. Amen.

(Prayer comes from: http://www.thesacredheart.com/shdpry.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC