7.30.2009

Being picked

Readings for Thursday July 30, 2009

First Reading: Exodus 40:16-21, 34-38
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 84
Gospel: Matthew 13:47-53


"The Kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away. Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth." (Matt 13:47-50)

I don't know about you, but I still remember those embarrassing moments in gym class where I would be the last one picked for a game. I mean, really, how humiliating is that? Nobody likes being picked last, it seems as though nobody wants you at all on their team, or that you are the worst player in the class. However, something did dawn on me today, even though there were times when I was picked last, the fact is that I was still picked. An even worse scenario would have been someone saying that they don't want me at all. It would have been much worse to not have been picked and to not have been able to play the game that everyone else was playing. I guess when you put it in perspective, being picked last isn't such a bad thing after all.

Today we hear that the kingdom of heaven is like a net cast out that catches all types of fish. The good ones are kept, and the bad ones are thrown away. I can tell you with all certainty that when the day and time comes for Jesus to come back, I do not care if I am the last one picked or not, all I care about is being picked. I want to make it to heaven, that is where I want to spend the rest of eternity. But in order to do that, I must be willing to give up everything for Him in this world. I must pick up my cross and follow Him every moment where ever He leads me. I must make Him first in my life, and I must love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Only after dedicating my life to Him may I then be picked.

So when it comes to heaven, it doesn't matter what order we are picked in, it only matters that we are picked . . . much better than the alternative.

Father above, we thank you and praise you for this day. Lord, help us to be all that you created us to be. Lord you are our God and we are your people, help us to follow you where ever you lead us to. We praise you Lord for all that we have and all that we are. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC