4.27.2010

Into His Hands

Readings for Tuesday April 27, 2010

First Reading: Acts 11:19-26
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 87
Gospel: John 10:22-30


So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you and you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify to me. But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.” (Jn 10:24-30)

Have you ever tried to wrestle something small away from someone else's hand? When I was little, I used to play this game with my dad and my friends a lot. Whenever I would play this game with my dad, I would also try and pry his hand open to get what he was hiding, usually it was something like a quarter or a piece of candy. Unsuccessfully, and after many attempts to get his hand open, I would give up. Thankfully, he took pity and let me have what was in his hand. I learned as a kid that when someone much stronger has something in their hand, trying to get it out is pointless, because they are in control of what is in their hand.

Christ, our Good Shepherd, tells us today that those who listen to His voice are His sheep, and they are in the Father's hand. He also goes on to tell us that no one can take them out of the Father's hand, because like I said before; when someone much stronger has something in their hand, trying to get it out is pointless. There is no one or no thing more powerful than God, our Father. He is stronger than all, and when we are in His hands, you better believe that nothing else has the power to take us out. But we have to first get into His loving hands, into His loving care. And the only way that we can do that is through Jesus. We must have an open heart, and be willing to hear the voice of Jesus in our lives. We must believe in His power and in His life, death and resurrection. We must be willing to take up our cross daily and follow Him where ever He leads us. By doing this, we will all be able to take comfort in the Father's hands, which is the place where each of us belongs.

May each of us be lead to the open and loving hands of the Father, where nothing on earth can take us away.

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, thank you so much for all that you have given and for all that you bless us with. Lord, we are not worthy of your love, but you freely choose to give it to us anyway. Help us to always follow you, no matter what this life may bring. Lord, we are your people, may we all humble ourselves and come into your loving hands. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love the analogy of trying to get something out of your dad's hand when you were little. It painted SUCH a clear picture of how we are truly secure in our Lord's hand. Thank you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC