5.20.2010

In the Father's Love

Readings for Thursday May 20, 2010

First Reading: Acts 22:30, 23:6-11
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 16
Gospel: John 17:20-26


Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying: “I pray not only for these, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world. Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me. I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.” (Jn 17:20-26)


Growing up, my dad used to collect different antique items. Usually they were things like old tools, appliances, etc. I was always intrigued by these items, because it was just amazing to see a drill with no power source other than two hands, a laundry washboard, or old toys that in no way today would pass safety requirements. It was always amazing to me to see how much things have changed and how much the things that we use every day have changed so much.


While the things in our lives are constantly changing, especially in technology, there is one antique that has never changed ... God's love. In today's gospel reading, Jesus tells us how God's love for the Son was there even before the foundation of the world. It has always been there, and it always will be. Jesus came to help us see how much the Father loves Him and how much He wants to love us. This same love, which has always been around, is the same love that can be in us; but only if we are willing to open ourselves up to it. We can only have the love of God in us if we are willing to believe in Christ and to follow Him where ever He leads us. We cannot be people of this world, we must be people of God if we want to have the love of the Father in us.


We are all called to communion, called to be one. If we all choose to follow Christ, then we can enter into this unity with the Father and the Son, and therefore can enter into this unity together as a people. There is no better place for us to be than in the Father's love, may we all come to share in that love together.


Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, thank you for your great love, we are not deserving of it, but you offer it to us freely. Lord, we praise you and thank you for our lives, help us to live them for you and to always give you all the glory. We pray for all those who do not know your love, may they have their eyes and hearts opened and come into your loving, gently arms. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC