7.21.2010

Life is a Gift

Readings for Wednesday July 21, 2010

First Reading: Jeremiah 1:1,4-10
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 71
Gospel: Matthew 13:1-9


The word of the LORD came to me thus: Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you. "Ah, Lord GOD!" I said, I know not how to speak; I am too young." But the LORD answered me, Say not, "I am too young." To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD. Then the LORD extended his hand and touched my mouth, saying, See, I place my words in your mouth! This day I set you over nations and over kingdoms, To root up and to tear down, to destroy and to demolish, to build and to plant. (Jer. 1:4-10)

I have a fifteen month old daughter, and there are so many times when I am just watching her that I realize what a great gift she is. I have had this thought many times, from the moment my wife and I first found out we were pregnant, to her first step, and even now; at each stage I recognize what a gift she is from God. Each day and at each stage I have truly learned so much from her, but I think that one of the greatest lessons I have learned is what a gift life is.

In today's first reading by the prophet Jeremiah, the Lord tells him; "before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you." We see here that God had a plan for Jeremiah even before he was born. God gave him the gift of his life for a purpose, and this purpose was to be a great prophet to the nations, and to help "build and plant" for the glory of God. Today's reading teaches us a great deal about our own lives. We were each created for a purpose, our life is a great gift that is meant to be used to do great things for the Lord. Now these things that we do may not seem like much to the world, or they may even go unnoticed, but they will not go unnoticed by God.

Our lives are a gift from God, that is one thing that we should always be sure of. He has a plan and a purpose for each of us. We are meant to help "build" up the Church and the kingdom of God; we are meant to help "plant" seeds of faith and hope in our families and in all those we come in contact with. We are also meant to fight for life and the dignity of each person, because we never know what great purpose God may be calling someone to.

Life is a precious and wonderful gift, however it is also a great responsibility. Let us each be good stewards of the life God has blessed us with and to never be afraid of God's purpose for our life.

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Thank you for the gift of our lives, and for all that you bless us with. Lord, we pray for all those you are pregnant and expecting, may they realize the precious life that is inside their womb. Lord, we pray for an end to abortion and euthanasia, may our world come to value life and to condemn any practices which seek the destruction of life. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC