12.07.2010

Comfort In God

Readings for Tuesday December 7, 2010

Memorial of Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor of the Church

First Reading: Isaiah 40:1-11
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 96
Gospel: Matthew 18:12-14


Jesus said to his disciples: “What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray? And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray. In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost.” (Mt. 18:12-14)

I remember that one time when I was younger, my mom and I was at the grocery store. I began to wonder around by myself; and after a while of playing in the isles, I realized that my mom was no longer with me and was no where to be found. I immediately started searching all of the isles, but with no luck. I started becoming very afraid that I would never find her and that I would stay lost in that store. I then found my way to the service desk; alone and afraid with tears down my cheek I asked the clerk if they could page my mom to the desk. When I heard them page her to the desk, I began to be comforted, because I knew that once the announcement was made, she would be on here way. Sure enough, moments later, there was my mom coming towards the desk; with a rather angry look on her face for me having drifted off, but I didn't care how angry she was, I had been found. You had better believe that for the rest of that trip she couldn't have lost me if she had tried.

There is certainly a lot of joy when something is lost and then is found. Jesus speaks of this in today's gospel, when He tells the parable of the lost sheep. This type of joy is certainly the same type of joy that I found when I had my conversion. I was so happy to have been found by God, that He took the time to find me; it still amazes me how much He loves me and all of us. It is so awesome that no matter how low we seem to go in our life, or how far we veer; He always find us and is willing to bring us back.

The prophet Isaiah tells us of the comfort that we can find from the Lord. If we want to find true peace and comfort, then we need to put our faith and hope in Christ. For if we do, He will carry us and lead us to everlasting life. I pray that we may all turn to the Lord, and allow Him to carry us and lead us in our lives, and then we can find the comfort that we all seek.

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day. Lord, we praise you and give you thanks for all that we have and all that we are. Help us to serve you with all our heart. Lord, we pray for a humble heart, and a faith that is unbreakable. Lord, be with all those who are striving to do your will. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC