5.18.2011

Our Purpose

Readings for Wednesday May 18, 2011

First Reading: Acts 12:24-13:5
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 67
Gospel: John 12:44-50


Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me, and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me. I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness. And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world. Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day, because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. So what I say, I say as the Father told me.” (Jn 12:44-50)

Why am I here? What is my purpose in life? These are questions that have perplexed humans for ages. While I am not going to pretend like I have all the answers to questions like this, today's readings have given me some good thoughts.

Why are we here? We are here because God loves us enough to give us life. As the Catechism says, we are here to know Him, love Him, and serve Him. This is our main goal in life, to try our best to love God and live for Him while we are on earth, so that by His grace we can spend eternity with Him in heaven. What is our purpose in life? Jesus tells us in today's gospel that He came into this world as light, so that whoever believes in Him may not remain in darkness. In the first reading from Acts, the Lord called Paul and Barnabas to a specific purpose, He wanted them to deliver His word and the good news of His love to other areas. This is our purpose as well, not only to live in the light of Christ, but also to let His light shine through us for all others to see. We are here because of Him and for Him. May each of us be given the courage to spread His word and let our lights shine on in the darkness.

May God bless you and the rest of your day!

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, thank you for all that you have blessed us with. Lord, we thank you for the gift of our lives, help us to never waste it, and to fulfill our purpose in this life, all for your glory. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC