6.21.2008

June 21, 2008

Reading 1
2 Chr 24:17-25
Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 89:4-5, 29-30, 31-32, 33-34
Gospel
Matthew 6:24-34

In the Gospel Jesus says "No one can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other." I see a lot of people in life trying to "serve two masters." Whether that be money, objects, lifestyles, or other people; they are usually choosing something (sometimes many things) instead of choosing God. This comes from being devoted to earthly things more than heavenly things. I know that when I first felt the calling to follow Christ, I struggled for a while "trying to serve two masters." I really felt called to follow Christ and to serve him, but my partying lifestyle seemed pretty important to me as well. For a while, I thought that I could make these two worlds fit together, but I soon came to realize that this mixing of lifestyles was not working. If it is one thing that I have learned is that trying to serve two masters may work for a little bit, but eventually these two worlds clash, and an important choice must be made.

So what do we do when we are conflicted and we are not sure who to serve? I think that Jesus gives us the simplest answer (and at times one that can seem very hard) he says in verse 33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness..." I think that when we are conflicted about something, we should ask ourselves "are we seeking first what God wants for me, or am I seeking what I want and what this world tells me is right?"

We are faced with many difficult choices everyday, what will you do to ensure that you are seeking his kingdom first? How will you ensure the master that you serve is our heavenly Father?

Lord, we thank you and give you praise for all that we have and all that we are. You are good to us at all times and you always give us what we need. Lord we know that we are put on this earth to know you, love you, and to serve you. Strengthen us throughout our day, fill us with your spirit so that we might only seek your kingdom first. We ask this all through Jesus Christ as we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC