6.30.2008

Monday June 30, 2008

First Reading: Amos 2:6-10, 13-16
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 50
Gospel: 8:18-22

Brothers and sisters, I apologize for taking the past few days off. I hope that your daily scripture readings and reflections went well.

My old football coach used to always say during practice, "If this were easy, everybody would be doing it." It is amazing that we as humans know that the real way to succeed and to earn something is through hard work and sacrifice (of course there are the rare exceptions to this rule). I learned from football that if I wanted to have a successful game on Friday night, I had to put in the work during the week. This has been an important attitude that I have carried with me ever since. Of course there are the times in my life that I have tried to cut corners and not put in the work, but this has never ended in me accomplishing my goal. In fact, this instant success approach never really got me anywhere, and it usually brought a slew of other problems with it. But the times that I did work hard and sacrifice, I usually accomplished my goal, and even if I didn't, I was still able to walk with my head up knowing that I did the right thing and worked hard.

In the gospel today, Jesus is teaching his disciples this same concept. He is telling his disciples that being a follower will not be easy. in fact not only will it not be easy, but no matter what you need to put Christ first. The one disciple asks to go and bury his father, Jesus tells him "Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead." Does this give you an idea of what should be top on our priority list? It sure does for me.

Not only do we need to make Christ the center of our lives and our number one priority, but it is going to be difficult. A life with Christ is not easy, and remember nothing worth working for is rarely easy. When we are having trouble staying on track or feel as though we are going to veer from the path, we need to keep our eyes on the prize - which is eternal life with God in Heaven! Is there anything worth working towards that is higher than that...I don't think so! Remember, our lives here on earth are a temporary residence, God has something so much bigger in store for you and me, but we cannot be tied down to these earthly things and troubles, we must follow Him, no matter where it leads and how hard it is.

Whenever you are going through something tough, what is it that you think of? Do you have a "my rotten luck" attitude or a "attitude of gratitude" through any situation? Have you ever thought of looking to the lives of the Saints who have suffered and given their lives freely for our faith? Do you pray for guidance, strength and fortitude from the Holy Spirit during times of pain and suffering?

Lord Jesus, you are the source of all that is good and right. Fill us with your spirit and show us how we can serve you this day. Lord give us the strength and courage to persevere in faith and to follow you no matter what. Lord Jesus we ask this all through your name as we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC