7.17.2008

It is not us, it is Him

First Reading: Isaiah 26:7-9, 12, 16-19
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 102
Gospel: Matthew 11:28-30

Have you ever done something really well at work and got rewarded for it? Or remember in school taking the big exam and getting a high grade back on it? After all of these good things what went through your mind? Was it "Man I am so awesome, I am just the best!" or was it "Thank you God for blessing me with this ability and helping me achieve this goal." After each triumph who do you give glory to? Is it you or God? I know that I have to step back every single day and push myself aside and realize that it was not me achieved something, but rather God working through me.

As the prophet Isaiah says today in the first reading "O LORD, you mete out peace to us,for it is you who have accomplished all we have done." Isaiah points out our need for the Lord, and recognizes Him as the source of all that we are and all that we do. I am guilty of the bad habit of sometimes only turning to Christ when I am in trouble or am hurting, which is good, but it should not be the only time that I turn to Him. We need Jesus in our lives every day, not just when things are rocky, but also when things are going well and we are happy. One thing that often helps me is whenever I begin to do something new for the day, whether it be a new project at work, going for a run, or cooking a meal; I say a little prayer thanking God for this moment and the ability to be able to begin such a task. I then ask the Holy Spirit to guide me through the task and I pray that through this I can give glory to God. This definitely makes going about daily chores more of a joy. When seeing something as a gift from God rather than a burden, we can find more joy and peace in our lives.

Remember turn to Jesus at all times, he is always there for us. As we read in the gospel today: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,and I will give you rest...For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

How will you recognize the work of God in your life today?

Lord, you are the source of all that we are and all that we have. Let us turn to you always and give you the glory for everything that we do in our lives. Lord help us to surrender to you and to serve you with our lives. Open our hearts to your goodness and increase our faith so that we might go out and do your will. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC