8.04.2008

Distractions

Memorial of Saint John Mary Vianney

First Reading: Jeremiah 28:1-17
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 119
Gospel: Matthew 14:22-36

Distractions. They are everywhere, and they seem to be different for every person. We have so many things in our lives that distract us and cause us to take our focus off of what we are doing. Perhaps it is the TV, the newest weight loss regimen, a new get rich quick scheme, constant noise that we are usually surrounded with, a friend, etc. Think about it, what in your life distracts you? One thing that I am always distracted by and have a bad habit of is constantly checking my email. It doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing, the thought will just randomly come into my mind and I will go check my email. Many times this happens at work, and there are so many times that I stop what I am working on to check my email, and even though it is usually work related, I still get distracted by it. It then usually takes me several more minutes to get back to get re-focused on what I was working on before. I understand that email will constantly be a distraction in my life, that I must work through and balance out how much time I am spending doing this. We all have distractions in life that we have to work through, Jesus referred to things like distractions as crosses. Jesus says in the gospel of Luke; "Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot by my disciple." (Luke 14:27)

For me a distraction is email, but for Peter in the gospel today he was distracted by fear and doubt. As Peter was called to come out of the boat he also began to walk on the water towards Jesus, but he was quickly distracted by the strong winds and the waves. At this distraction, Peter began to sink into the water. Jesus then asked him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” I am sure that we can all think of times when Jesus probably asked us this very question. Jesus calls all of us out of the boat, but everyday we get distracted by other things, we turn away and take our focus off of following Him. It is when we turn away that we begin to sink, and many times like Peter we begin to panic. Why do we doubt? Why do we become afraid? These are questions for each of us to ask ourselves inside.

Fear and doubt. We all feel them and display them; these are major distractions in our lives and can many times prevent us from following our Lord. Fear and doubt are crosses that we must all carry, they are a part of our nature and to get past them we must look to the Lord. He is so mighty and powerful that there is nothing that He can't do. We need learn to trust Him at all times, no matter how great the distractions.

Lord Jesus we thank you and give you praise for each of our lives. We ask that you increase our faith so that we might be better followers of you. We ask that you help us each to work on our temperance and reverence for you. Lord we pray for those who are caught up in the many distractions of this world. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC