8.28.2008

What will you be doing?

Memorial of St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

First Reading: 1 Corinthians 1:1-19
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 145
Gospel: Matthew 24:42-51


A thought came to me today, that had never really occurred before with this gospel. The gospel today is about the how we need to be prepared for when Jesus comes, and we are told of the parable of the faithful and unfaithful servant. The faithful servant does his work correctly when the master is away. When the master returns and finds that the servant has been a good steward, he is rewarded greatly. Now the unfaithful servant realizing that his master is gone begins to abuse his position and work. He mistreats the other servants and goes about partying. Now when the master comes back at an unknown hour and finds this servant, he is severely punished. Moral of the story: be prepared, for we don't know when Jesus is coming... just know that he is. When he does come back, what will you be doing?

As many times as I read this gospel I never thought about how I need to take this question of what I am doing and think about it during the day. Think about it, if before I did something I stopped to ask myself "If Jesus came back right now, is this what I would want Him to find me doing?" There is one of two answers: I am doing something to glorify God or I am not. I think that this is something that we should all be reflecting upon throughout the day. Say I am at work and I am slacking off and checking my email or making personal calls, what if Jesus came then? What if on Sunday mornings I decide to sleep in instead of go to mass? What if at night I neglect my wife and my responsibilities at home? If Jesus came at any of these moments, would these be the things I would want Him to find me doing? Of course not, I would want Him to find me working hard for His glory, going to mass, and thriving in my vocation as a married man!

I believe no matter what we are doing, if we stopped and asked ourselves this simple question, we can not only find ourselves coming closer to God and giving Him glory in all that we do, but we can protect ourselves from the many temptations of this world and of the evil one.

When Jesus comes back, what will you be doing?

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day. We thank you for the gift of great church leaders and teachers such as St. Augustine. Like St. Augustine, may we be given the grace to cast off the things of this world and serve you with all that we are. We pray for all those who are struggling in their faith, may they be strengthened by your spirit. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, and thanks for your blog. My nine year old son and I have been using it for daily bible study and reflections. This comment today was so insightful for us.
    I too am a new Catholic (six years ago) and it is such a privilege to be a Catholic! I thank God for it every day. Once again, thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC