11.24.2008

It's not the "when" that is important

Readings for Tuesday November 25, 2008

First Reading:  Revelation 14:14-19  
Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 96
Gospel:  Luke 21:5-11


I wonder how many discussions have happened in the world in regards to when the world is going to end.  I know that there have been many occasions when I have been in the grocery store line only to read a headline in the Weekly World News about predictions of the end of the world (that and a blurb about Elvis being spotted pumping gas at a Seven 11).  There are many theories and groups that believe that they know exactly when the world is going to end and when the supposed "rapture" will happen.  Every time I hear these stories or see these articles, I just smile and go about my business, because I realize that it is not the "when" that is important.  It is not my concern of when Jesus will come to judge the living and the dead, or even how it is going to happen, all that I need to know is that it will happen and that my faith and works is what will matter when the time comes.        

Let us not fear the horrible evils that happen in this world, for as Jesus said these things must happen first.  Let us instead fear an eternity separated from God.  I pray for each one of us on our journey of faith, and that one day we will all rejoice for eternity in heaven with our Lord.  

Father above, we thank you for our lives and we thank you for the journey that each of us have been called to.  Lord, increase our faith and hope in you, help us to not fear the evils of this world, but instead fear a life without you.  Lord, we thank you for being so merciful and good to us, help us to serve you all the days of our lives and to seek your will at all times.  We praise you for your glory, and we pray for all those searching for meaning in their lives.  May they find it in you.  We ask this all through Christ our Lord.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC