1.28.2009

The Good Soil

Readings for Wednesday January 28, 2009

Memorial of Saint Thomas Aquinas, priest and doctor of the Church

First Reading:  Hebrews 10:11-18
Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 110
Gospel:  Mark 4:1-20
  

Today Jesus tells us the parable of the seed sower.  He describes how some seeds fell on the path and were eaten up, others fell on the rocky ground but were scorched by the sun because of lack of root.  Some also fell amongst the thorns and could not grow, and the last seeds fell on good soil and produced a great deal of good fruit.  I pray that we can all be granted God's love and mercy to be in the "good soil" where we can thrive in this life, instead of just survive.  

Throughout history, we have many great examples of men and women who have sought to do God's will and have surrendered to Him.  Many of these men and women would be considered as being brought up in the "good soil" and produced much fruit in their lives.  Today we remember and honor one of these great men, Saint Thomas Aquinas.  Thomas Aquinas was a great priest and theologian.  When Thomas decided to enter the priesthood, there was much opposition from his family.  They even went as far as to send an impure woman to tempt him; but because God was with him and because of his desire to do God's will, Thomas continued on in his vocation.  Thomas went on to produce much fruit in his life, as he is considered one of "the greatest and most influential theologians of all time."  *(for more information about Saint Thomas Aquinas go to:  http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=2530)

May we all continue to seek God with our hearts and to persevere through the temptations of this world.  Saint Thomas Aquinas, pray for us.  

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day.  May we seek to strive and do your will each day in our lives.  Lord, protect us from this world, and strengthen us in this fight for truth that we are in.  Lord, we pray for all those who are seeking you, may they be brought to your love and mercy.  We ask this all through Christ our Lord.  Amen.  

1 comment:

  1. Jimmie,

    I read a prayer today that I thought you might appreciate.

    Good and Gracious God -
    Thank you for the gift of life.
    Thank you for the gift of my unique life.
    Thank you for the gift of my life set in this day.
    Thank you for the gift of my life set in this moment.
    Amen.

    I am counting the days down to go see Matthew Kelly - Feb. 11 and 12. I cannot wait! I think we are going to take our 4 kids. Even though they are only 11, 10, and 9(twins), I believe they will benefit from his message. I am trying to read Rediscovering Catholicism to my husband before we go. I may never finish, though...I will be reading along and look up to find him snoozing!! Hopefully he is absorbing some of it! I may have to add some discussion questions after every page(or maybe every paragraph)!

    By the way... your name Jimmie with an "ie" cracks me up. I have Randie (husband and son), Celie, and Emmie. We like "ie" names, too!

    I still enjoy and appreciate your reflections every day!

    Have a great day!
    Dana from Kansas

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC