4.29.2009

Do not worry about tomorrow

Readings for Wednesday April 29, 2009

Memorial of Saint Catherine of Sienna, virgin and doctor of the church

First Reading:  Acts 8:1-8
Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 66
Gospel:  John 6:35-40  


And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day.
For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day."
 (John 6:39-40)

Have you ever wondered about the last days here on earth?  I find myself wondering if this is an event that I will actually be around to witness.  How will it happen?  Will it happen quickly or will we see everything unfold?  Will we even know what is happening?  I find myself at times speculating about this, but then I remember that it is really not for me to know.  In the gospels we are warned "Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.  Sufficient for a day is its own evil."  (Matt 6:34)  It is easy for us to think about and prepare too much for the future that we forget about what God has given us in the present.    

No one except for God knows when or how the last days will take place.  We must trust in His great plan and to not let ourselves worry too much about the things that we cannot control.  We must take each day at a time, giving thanks and persevering through each trial.  Let us always remember Jesus in the present, and if we do this, He will not forget us on the last day.  

Saint Catherine of Sienna, you sought God's will in your life at all times.  You sought to make peace with all those you could, pray for us that we too may seek God's will over our own and for peace in our lives, families, and communities.   

Father above, we thank you and give you all praise and glory for this day.  Lord, help us to know, love, and serve you better this day.  We know that you have a plan for each of us and for this world, and we trust in your perfect plan.  Lord, give us the strength and wisdom to do your will in our lives, so that we may be the sons and daughters that you created us to be.  Lord, we pray for all those in need of conversion.  We ask this all through Christ our Lord.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC