8.10.2009

Complacency

Readings for Monday August 10, 2009

Feast of Saint Lawrence, deacon and martyr

First Reading: 2 Corinthians 9:6-10
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 112
Gospel: John 12:24-26


“Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me.” (John 12:24-26)

Complacency. Our world seems to be filled with it, and unfortunately, even many of those that are in our church are filled with it. There may even be times in our own lives when we seem to just be swimming in complacency. When we are complacent in our lives there is one big drawback that always happens ... nothing.

Jesus warns us today of being complacent. He tells us that unless we are willing to die to Him, then we will just stay the same. Jesus compares us to a grain of wheat, "unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, then it will remain just a grain of wheat." Like the grain of wheat, we too must be humble before our Lord, willing to fall to the ground for Him. We must then be willing to die to our old lives and grow into the new life that He has planned for all of us. We should not worry about our care either, because by following and sacrificing for Him, He will give us all the care and nourishment that we need.

Being complacent may work for us right now, but there is great danger in this mindset. If we choose to stay the same, if we choose to stay in our comfort zone only, then we will never grow, we will always just stay a "grain of wheat." Many times we think that we are where we need to be and that things can really get no better than they are, but the truth is that God always has much more than we could ever imagine in store for us. Like the grain of wheat, we could never imagine all that we could grow to be, and this can only occur by dying to our old self and letting the Lord raise us up.

Imagine if Jesus had been complacent in His life here on earth, what would have happened? My guess is nothing.

Father above, we thank you and praise you for this day. Lord, help us to not take our lives for granted and to never be complacent. Lord fuel the fire within us and help us to be the servants that you created us to be. Lord you are our rock and foundation, help us to rely on you in all things. Increase our faith so that we may grow and be the lights in this world. We pray for all of our priests and for all those seeking your will. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Why does it seem that you always post what I need to take to heart? I have mulled about this posting over the past 24 hours and cannot get it out of my mind. Complacent! That's it...I have become complacent! I have narrowed my focus only on my little family, my parish and my circle of friends. What difference would my voice really make? None I thought. But now...I'm wondering. I will definitely continue to mull this over.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC