8.19.2009

Generosity

Readings for Wednesday August 19, 2009

First Reading: Judges 9:6-15
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 21
Gospel: Matthew 20:1-16


When it was evening the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Summon the laborers and give them their pay, beginning with the last and ending with the first.’ When those who had started about five o’clock came, each received the usual daily wage. So when the first came, they thought that they would receive more, but each of them also got the usual wage. And on receiving it they grumbled against the landowner, saying, ‘These last ones worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who bore the day’s burden and the heat.’ He said to one of them in reply, ‘My friend, I am not cheating you. Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage? Take what is yours and go. What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous?’ Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last.” (Matt. 20:8-16)

Out of all the parables that Jesus tells, this is the one that I have always related to the most. In thinking about how the workers who came later felt once they got the full days wage, I can certainly understand how these workers felt. They were probably blown away from the owner's generosity. They were probably just shocked that someone would invite them to work, and it didn't matter when and would still give the full days wages. This is the same type of generosity that I felt after my conversion, and it is something that I continue to feel even to this day.

I am also like the workers and am continuously just amazed at the Lord's generosity. He calls us all to follow Him, and it doesn't matter when you surrender to Him, He is still willing to give the same wages as those who have always been with Him. Now this is not to say that we should just go out and party it up until we are older and settle down and then begin following Jesus. For the sooner that we follow Christ, then the less destruction we can do in our lives and the lives of others. But if we are willing to turn towards Him and say yes to Him and His way, then there will be treasure in heaven waiting for us.

The great thing is that God in His abundant love and mercy is willing to take us anytime and at any place, all we have to do is accept His invitation and we will receive the wages that He has planned for us. I know that I will never forget His mercy and generosity, I pray that you will never forget as well.

Our God is so good, not just sometimes or once in a while, but all the time!

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day. Lord we thank you and give you praise for your great love and mercy for us. Lord, we are not worthy of your blessings, but you choose to give them to us anyway, for this we are thankful. Lord, help us to follow you in this world and to be a witness to all those who have no hope. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC