9.18.2009

Pierced

Readings for Friday September 18, 2009

First Reading: 1 Timothy 6:2-12
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 49
Gospel: Luke 8:1-3


For the love of money is the root of all evils, and some people in their desire for it have strayed from the faith and have pierced themselves with many pains. But you, man of God, avoid all this. Instead, pursue righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience, and gentleness. Compete well for the faith. (1 Timothy 6:10-12)

When I was younger, my family and I had went fishing. I had decided to go running around the pond barefooted. My dad had kept telling me to put my sandals back on, but before he knew it I went running off (without my sandals). As I went running, my adventure came to a sudden halt as I stepped on a three pronged fishing hook that had been laying on the ground. Let me tell you, to this day, I still remember that pain. The hook had not only pierced my foot, but was also lodged in there really good. It took what seemed like an eternity in the emergency room to remove the hook. Yet, all of this could have been avoided had I just listened to the advice of my dad.

I think that in this world, we too tend to do as Saint Paul says and pierce ourselves with many things of this world. And why does this happen? Because we stray away from the faith, from our Father in heaven. We are warned today to stay away from the things that this world may offer: money, power, prestige, etc. Instead of pursuing the things of this world, which will cause self destruction and pain, we should instead pursue what is good and holy. Saint Paul tells us to instead pursue; righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience, and gentleness. We are also told to compete well for the faith. If we think of life as a race, then we would all do well to continue to strive and persevere in order to finish strong.

Being pierced is not always a bad thing. Christ allowed His hands and feet to be pierced and nailed to the cross all out of love for us. Is our own pain the result of our own actions, or a part of the cross which we all must carry?

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, we thank you for all that you have given us, we thank you for the suffering that your son endured for our sake. Help us to stay strong in this life so that we might one day reach you and be with you in heaven. Lord you are so good and merciful to us, may we never forget this and always pursue what is good and pleasing to you. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC