3.17.2010

Children of God

Readings for Wednesday March 17, 2010

First Reading: Isaiah 49:8-15
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 145
Gospel: John 5:17-30


Sing out, O heavens, and rejoice, O earth, break forth into song, you mountains. For the LORD comforts his people and shows mercy to his afflicted. But Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.” Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you. (Is 49:13-15)

As a parent I could not even imagine walking out of my home and not giving my daughter a second thought. I couldn't imagine just forgetting about her and never being in her life again. I guess that is why today's first reading really struck a cord with me today. I took a lot of comfort from the words of the prophet Isaiah, when he tell us how the Lord will bring salvation to His people. He tells us that our Father in heaven will never leave or forget us, He is with us always.

Sometimes it is hard to imagine or think about, but we do have a Father who loves us more than we can possibly imagine. He only wants what is best for us, and wants us to spend eternity with Him. Other people in our lives may have left us or forgotten us, but He never will; we should find a lot of joy and comfort in that. But in order to know God as our Father, we must first accept and realize that we are His sons and daughters. We are so precious in His eyes, just like any child is in the eyes of their parent. God our Father is the perfect parent; loving, patient, merciful, always there for you, and He has even prepared an eternal place with Him in heaven if we so desire.

I often see people with the coffee mug "World's Greatest Dad", and while that may have been a nice thought or gift, the truth is the world's greatest dad is in heaven. He is patiently waiting for the day when we can join Him in heaven.

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, thank you for all that you have blessed us with. Lord, you are so kind and merciful to us, much more than we deserve, help us to be kind and merciful to all those we meet. Lord, thank you for loving us so much, help us to love as you call us to in this world. Lord, we are your children, help us to follow you as children do, only wanting to be in your arms. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. When I read the First Reading, I thought of students at my school who are in foster care, those who come to school dirty and hungry, and those whose parents won't come to school for conferences or won't return phone calls. Please remember these children in your prayers today!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC