11.02.2010

Coming Home

Readings for Tuesday November 2, 2010

The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (Souls)

First Reading: Wisdom 3:1-9
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 23
Second Reading: Romans 5:5-11 or Romans 6:3-9
Gospel: John 6:37-40


Jesus said to the crowds: “Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.” (Jn 6:37-40)

I remember during my time in college, that one of the things that I greatly enjoyed was coming home. It was always such a great feeling to come home to things and people that I had grown up with. I would say that the home cooked meals were certainly an added bonus. There is always something special about coming home.

It is this feeling of coming home that should give each of us hope. In today's gospel, Jesus assures us that all who come to Him will be accepted. He tells us that the will of the Father is for "all that see and believe in the Son may have eternal life, and will be raised on the last day." It is this promise of eternal life, of being welcomed into Heaven, our new home. This promise should drive each of us, it should give us faith and hope that motivate us to sacrifice for the Lord while here on earth. This promise of eternal life is not achieved by some worldly means, but by faith in Christ. If we are willing to follow Him and to do the Father's will, then we granted acceptance into heaven, into our home.

God wants each of His children home with Him, if we choose to believe and follow, then we can be blessed enough to go home.

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, thank you for preparing a way for us, thank you for your Son's death and life, and for saving us from sin and death. Lord, help us to never leave your loving arms and to always seek your will in our lives. Lord, we pray for all the poor souls in purgatory and for all those who have gone before us. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC