11.17.2010

Why?

Readings for Wednesday November 17, 2010

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, religious

First Reading: Revelation 4:1-11
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 150
Gospel: Luke 19:11-28


He replied, ‘I tell you, to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. (Lk. 19:26)

Do you ever find yourself just asking the question "why" a lot? I am sure that we all ask this question many times in our life, and especially when it comes to God, we find ourselves asking "why?" Why did God choose to give us two arms instead of four? Why did God make the sky blue? Why did my neighbor who does not act faithfully win the lottery, while all I got were more bills? Why was the master in today's gospel so unkind to the fearful servant and to the people that he now ruled?

I find that many people in life seem to want to reject faith all because they do not understand God, and because they do not have an answer for the "why's." Well, as much as I wish I did, I do not have an answer for you in regards to why things are the way that they are. I cannot even begin to attempt to understand God's ways; I realize that I am simply too small and unable to do so. I cannot tell you exactly why Jesus tells us in today's gospel that "to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." I realize that this may seem kind of harsh and while we do not fully understand the rationale behind this, we must trust that it is what is right.

I realize that we all have two choices: 1) We can go our entire lives always questioning God and His ways, or 2) We can just trust Him completely and realize that His ways are perfect. Many times we think that we know the whole situation, but in reality we only know fragments of information. God knows all, and His ways are perfect, even if we don't see it at first.

Today, may our faith be strengthened so that we can trust more. Let us be like the the servants who did not question their master or his intentions, but did as instructed. For when we do this, our reward will be a glorious place in heaven, and we too may be blessed enough to see what Saint John saw.

Father above, we thank you for your love and mercy. Bless our days, so that we might serve you with all that we are. Lord, forgive us for questioning you and your ways. Lord hep us to always trust in you no matter what. Lord we pray for all those who are seeking you and all those who have fallen away from the faith. We ask this all through your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC