7.05.2011

The Good Shepherd

Readings for Tuesday July 5, 2011

First Reading: Genesis 32:23-33
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 17
Gospel: Matthew 9:32-38


Jesus went around to all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom, and curing every disease and illness. At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd. (Matthew 9:35-36)

In today's gospel we see Jesus performing many miracles and proclaiming the gospel of the Kingdom. What is also amazing in today's gospel is seeing the love and mercy that Jesus has for us. It says, "at the sight of the crowds, His heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd." Jesus does not ignore the people or turn a deaf ear to them, instead He sees their struggles and their pains, He hears their prayers and knows their misfortunes. Christ also does the same with us. There are many times in life when we feel alone, abandoned, afraid, or that no one hears us; but this is not true. Christ is always there, rejoicing with us in our blessings, and sharing our tears in our pains and sorrows. Christ is the good shepherd, He has and will always step up when needed because of His great love and mercy.

Today, let us also reflect on the words of Psalm 23 to understand more of how God is our good and faithful shepherd, and how His love and mercy reign in our lives:
"The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
you guide me me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come."


Father above, we thank you and praise you for this day. Lord, you are our rock and our strength, help us to put all of our trust in you and to rely on you at all times. Lord we are weak, but you are mighty and strong, Lord our strength lies in you. Lord, give us courage to face the obstacles in our day, help us to give you all glory and honor for all we do. We pray for all of our priests and for their ministries. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC