12.03.2008

The greatness of God

Readings for Wednesday December 3, 2008

Memorial of Saint Francis Xavier, priest

First Reading:  Isaiah 25:6-10
Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 23
Gospel:  Matthew 15:29-37


Today the prophet Isaiah speaks of the greatness of God and the promise of salvation.  He speaks about how God's people will one day rejoice; "Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us!  This is the Lord for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that He has saved us!"  
I am sure that the people who came to Jesus in today's gospel shared this exact same thought.  Imagine being given your sight back if you are blind, or being able to walk if once crippled.  Not only did Christ cure many that day, but He also spoke and ministered to them and He used a few loafs of bread and some fish to feed all the people!  When they had all eaten, there was such an abundance left over.  These amazing acts truly speak to us about God's mercy and His greatness!  

We serve a truly awesome and great God.  He is greater than any person and more powerful than any force.  And we should always remember that He is with us, and with Him nothing is impossible!  Let us all serve the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength and then one day we may be blessed enough to live in the house of the Lord all of our days!

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day.  We praise you for your many blessings that you bestow upon us Lord.  God, help us to become better servants for you, increase our faith, hope, and love so that we might be better servants.  We pray for all those suffering in the world, and all those seeking you.  We ask this all through Christ our Lord.  Amen.   



2 comments:

  1. Jimmie,

    I just want you to know how much I appreciate your dedication to writing your reflection on the daily readings and Gospel. My day just isn't complete without it! In addition to your blog, I also read The Word Among Us and listen to Fr. Lauer from Presentation Ministries. The Sacred Space is also great for those difficult passages.

    I see you have a link to Matthew Kelly's website. His books are great! I have read Rediscovering Catholicism and The Rhythm of Life twice and just finished Perfectly Yourself. I am hoping to go listen to him in person in February.

    Thanks again and please continue your ministry.

    Blessings,
    Dana, Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,

    Thank you so much for your comments, it is greatly appreciated! I enjoy the Word Among Us as well; I will have to check out Fr. Lauer and Sacred Space. Thank you for that.

    I am glad that you have read some of Matthew Kelly's books. He is truly a great author and speaker. I have been to one of his retreats, and they are fabulous. If you have a chance to go I highly recommend it. If you are interested I some extra CD's of some of his talks, I would be happy to send your way. Just let me know if you are interested.

    Thanks again, God bless!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC