11.23.2009

Hold nothing back!

Readings for Monday November 23, 2009

Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King

First Reading: Daniel 1:1-6, 8-20
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm
Gospel: Luke 21:1-4


When Jesus looked up he saw some wealthy people putting their offerings into the treasury and he noticed a poor widow putting in two small coins. He said, “I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest; for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood.” (Lk 21:1-4)

In all my years of playing sports, the only regrets that I had ever felt were from the times that I didn't feel as though I was giving it my all. There were times when I was just having an off day, and for whatever reason I was just dogging it. I would especially feel this during a game time situation where I felt as though I took a play off, or just wasn't focused on what I was doing. I can tell you the practices and games where I gave all of my energy and my very best (regardless of the score) were the times that I truly felt like a winner. My coaches often referred to this as "leaving it all on the field." Meaning that while playing the sport we would give all that we had, our entire focus, energy, passion, strength, everything; we would leave it all on the field, if we did that then we would be winners.

This idea of giving our very best and not slacking off in life, seems to be grounded in some truth. Think about it, how many times do you regret giving your very best at something? Now, how many times do you regret the times that you have held back? We spend so much time looking back at missed opportunities and missed chances that perhaps we never took or never gave our best at. Most people do not regret giving their best in life, because there is a sense of accomplishment that comes along with this, there is the feeling and idea of knowing that you did not hold back regardless of the outcome.

In today's gospel we read of a poor widow who also did not spend her life holding back. This woman in her poverty gave all that she had, you could say that she "left it all on the field." While her contribution did not have the monetary value that the others did, her bold move was certainly noticed by Christ. This is what Jesus asks of us every day, not to hold back from Him, to give Him all of what we have, not just a little bit. We must remember that Jesus did not hold back anything for us, not even a single drop of blood. Christ poured out Himself totally for us, and this is the model of which we should follow.

One day, when our time here on earth is all finished, do you want to meet Jesus with no regrets, knowing you gave your all, and left it all on the field? Or, are you okay living with the regret knowing that you held back?

Father above, we thank you and praise you for the gift of this day. Lord, we thank you for our lives and the great opportunities that you call all of us to. Lord, you love us so much, and your sacrifice for us was so great; help us to surrender and sacrifice for you as you did for us. We pray that your will be done, that we will seek what you want in all things in our life, that you will take us and lead us to where we are meant to be. We pray for all those in need of conversion, and for all those seeking true love and peace in their lives; may they find it in you. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC