11.05.2009

We are His

Readings for Thursday November 5, 2009

First Reading: Romans 14:7-12
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 27
Gospel: Luke 15:1-10


“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance. (Lk 15:4-7)

I remember when I was a young boy, and I decided one day that it would be fun to hide outside from my parents. After hiding for a little bit, I heard them looking for me. They were in the house calling out my name, they came outside calling out for me. They were frantically looking all over for me, little did they know that I was underneath the family truck having a delightful time over all the fuss about me. When my dad decided that he was going to drive around the neighborhood looking for me, that is when I decided to pop out and surprise both of my parents. Now, I can tell you in that instant they were so relieved to have found me and that I was okay. I am sure that the little incident nearly gave them a heart attack and took several years off of their life. I am sure that one day my daughter will repay me from this little stunt.

As I read today's gospel, I thought of that time when I hid and how much my own parents lived me so much that they were frantically searching for me and when they did find me, how much rejoicing their was. Isn't it amazing that we all have a Father in heaven who loves us so much that whenever we are lost He will come to find us? Whenever we veer off the path, or lose our way, there God is to come and pick us back up and lead us to the right path again. As the gospels tell us today that when someone is back on the path towards heaven, their is great rejoicing in heaven.

So why does God pour out so much love and mercy towards us? Why does He search so diligently for us? The answer is simply because we are His. Saint Paul tells us today, "For if we live, we live for the Lord, and if we dies, we die for the Lord; so then whether we live or dies, we are the Lord's." (Rom 14:8)

We are all God's children, and like any good parent when His children are lost or hiding, He will go to find them. And when they are found, there will be great rejoicing!

Father above, we thank you and give you praise for the gift of this day. Lord, help us to do your will, to sacrifice the things that we think that we want to to be obedient to your will. Lord, give us the courage and the strength to go out and serve you in this life. Lord, we thank you for all that you bless us with. We pray for all those who are lost and in need of conversion. We ask this all through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the little kid hiding. My oldest is VERY good at the game of hide and seek. She is so good that even when the adults have to get involved looking at her, she stays put. She worries me to no end. This has happened twice. And she is only 8.

    I must say, my understanding of this passage and also of the Prodigal Son has grown so incredibly much in the last 8 years...not just because of my daughter and other children, but because of my new-found zeal for my faith and my desire to help my children create a prominent place in their hearts and lives for God.

    Thank you for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC