5.01.2009

Eucharist

Readings for Friday May 1, 2009

First Reading:  Acts 9:1-20
Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 117
Gospel:  John 6:52-59

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man and drink his Blood, you do not have life within you. 
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my Flesh is true food, and my Blood is true drink. 
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. 
This is the bread that came down from heaven.  Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."
 (John 6:53-58)

It is such a shame that many of our protestant brothers and sisters seem to skim over this passage ... I know that I used to.  I remember at this one church that I used to go to before my coming home to the Catholic Church, I participated in one of their "communion services."  It was a nice event, we passed around some crackers and little cups of grape juice.  The pastor read some readings and made it a spiritual event.  However, I remember leaving thinking, "okay, so that was communion."  There certainly wasn't much to that service, and as I have become catholic, I now realize why, because we didn't have the true presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.  I remember that it was just about a ear ago at the Easter Vigil when I officially came into the Catholic Church and received my first communion.  I remember how it felt to really and truly receive our Lord, body and blood in that Holy meal.  Ever since then I have had a strong desire to receive the Eucharist and to receive our Lord inside.  

The next time that you present yourself before the Eucharist, think of this passage.  Jesus is not just giving us a meal to eat, He is giving us His body and blood so that we can have eternal life ... then give thanks and praise for this amazing gift.  

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day.  Lord, we thank you for the Sacrament of the Eucharist, may we always present ourselves before you as a sacrifice and may we always receive you with open hearts.  Lord, we thank you and praise you for giving us your body and blood at every mass so that we may be strengthened and so that we may go out into the world and serve you better.  Lord Jesus we ask this all in your name.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC