5.15.2009

Love one another

Readings for Friday May 15, 2009

First Reading:  Acts 15:22-31
Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 57
Gospel:  John 15:12-17


Jesus said to his disciples:  "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command you.
I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing.  I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.
It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.
This I command you: love one another."
 (John 15:12-17)

Do you have someone at work or school that just really annoys you?  Someone who just seems to push all of your buttons and get on your last nerve?  I think that we all have people like that in our lives, people who just for whatever reason seem to do all the things that we cannot stand.  Most of the time it is these little annoyances and our own pet peeves that seem to prevent us from loving these people.  We often forget that these same people who drive us mad are also children of God, just like us.  The fact is that none of us are perfect, and none of us do all the right things; but the one thing that unites us all is that God loves each of us unconditionally.  From the hardened criminal in jail to the righteous missionary priest, it doesn't matter who you are or what you do, God loves each of us the same.  And if God can get past the petty annoyances, shouldn't we as well? 

Jesus calls us all to love each other as He loves us, that is unconditionally, not just when it is easy.  

Father above, we thank you for the gift of this day.  Lord, we thank you and give you praise for your great love of all of us.  Lord, fill our hearts with love of you and love of each other, so that we might go our and fulfill your commandments.  Lord, we praise you for the great works in our life and pray that we can continue to do your will.  Lord, we pray for all those who are in need of conversion, and all those who are seeking truth and meaning in their life.  We ask this all through Christ our Lord.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Lighthouse Catholic Media CD of the Month Club

CDMC